Sunday, April 17, 2011

+39 Pizzeria

+39 Pizzeria
362 Little Bourke St, Melbourne
Ph 9642 0440
☆☆☆


+39 Pizzeria was voted Best Pizzeria of the Year 2010 by the Age Epicure and given ☆s by the Cheap Eats Guide so I was having high expectations.



I told P to book a table 'cause we were going to the Bruno Mars concert after but when we got there it was quite empty at 6pm on a Saturday night. The table for 2 was very small - only about 40cm by 40cm, and no table cloth or anything. The tables were quite tight packed, and the toilets were behind us, so heaps of people walked past us to get to the toilets - kinda annoying.

Quick look at the menu and we were stunned - so many to choose from and with so many ingredients that we hadn't heard of before. P ended up choosing Salsiccia (tomato, mozzarella, italian sausage, porcini mushroom & parmesan).

The food came in like 5mins - we later realised how this was possible. Their oven was set at 382°C - that's crazily hot!

Salsiccia

It was okay - the italian sausages weren't that special and there wasn't that much stuff on the pizza. I've come to realise that restaurant pizzas always have very little toppings - compared to what I make at home. I like lots of toppings and lots of cheese. The crust was very crunchy but it was very salty. P thinks they purposely put salt on the edge so it dries up and crisps up in the oven.

I ordered a Sole e Luna (half calzone filled with leg ham and mozzarella & half margherita). I couldn't think how it could be half calzone and half margherita but when it came I understood =) and it really looks like a moon!

Sole e Luna

This was pretty good - the calzone was FILLED with mozzarella.. mmm cheese =) But yes, again the crust was too salty, so even though I love crunchy things like pizza crusts normally, I didn't finish my crust 'cause it was too salty.

They do degustation here too - there were heaps of people around us having it. When we walked to the counter I saw this - soo soo many types of cured meats and cheese! There was a gorgonzola cheese that was like 10cm high it was crazy!


When we walked out at 7.15pm the restaurant was packed - so lucky we booked / came at 6pm.  Not sure if I'd say it's the best pizzeria around but worth a try.


5/10

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment