Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thanh Tam

Thanh Tam
172 Victoria St, Richmond
(Ph) 9429 8130

We were on our way to Ikea to get our dining table chairs (finally! after 4 months ><) but we didn't feel like Ikea food again - we've had it like 4 times already this year =P so we hopped off at Richmond and just walked around. P wanted Pho so we walked around to find a Vietnamese restaurant that doesn't only sell Pho. We came to Thanh Tam, saw stickers of previous years' Cheap Eats Guide on the door, so we decided to go in.


P of course ordered Pho - Rice Noodle Soup with Sliced Beef for $9

Rice Noodle Soup with Sliced Beef

Too bad they only had sliced beef - they didn't have special beef here with tendon, brisket, meat balls etc


But they were VERY generous with their bean sprouts (compared with Vietnam Noodle House) and they gave mint leaves (which they should) =) There was actually a bit too much bean sprouts - not enough soup for the bean sprouts to sit in. And strangely enough, they gave more beef than noodles.

I ordered the Broken Rice with the Lot for $9. I wanted tomato rice but they didn't have tomato rice with broken rice stuff - I should have asked them if I could change it to tomato rice, oh well.

Broken Rice with the Lot

The grilled pork chop was a bit too tough and I would have liked it if the egg was a bit more runny. But the shredded pork was very tasty, and I really like the thin fish saucy liquid that it comes with - goes very well with the rice and a bit of everything else.

After our meal, as we went to pay, we saw at least 4 tables had ordered the Vietnamese pancake - I had never heard of a Vietnamese pancake, and for $15, I wasn't sure if it was worth it. But the pancake is a MASSIVE (like 20 inch!!) omelette with very thin crispy edges - wow I so should have ordered it! But it would have been too big for me to finish - I didn't want to make the mistake of ordering too much for myself (like at Sebastiaan's). Next time!

6.5/10

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment