Thursday, May 19, 2011

Earl Canteen

Earl Canteen
Shop 5b, 500 Bourke St, Melbourne
(Ph) 9600 1995
☆☆

P had been coming to this place a few times with his friends and I kept bugging him to take me there so he finally did today =)


Its address is Bourke St but you actually go in either from William St or Little Bourke St - weird huh. The cafe looks out to a very nice courtyard, along with many other delicious restaurants like Movida.

P said the Trout Nicoise and Pork Belly's were really good - but after watching Food Safari on SBS this morning talking about all these exotic lamb dishes, I really felt like lamb, so I ordered the 12 Hour Lamb =)

The cafe was packed at 12.45pm so we ordered take away and sat at the tables outside - their takeaway boxes even have their name stamped on it haha.


P ordered the Trout Nicoise - Seared ocean trout, tomato, beans, potato, olive mayonnaise, butter, lettuce focaccia. He said he didn't want to order 2 baguettes and I realized why afterwards.

Trout Nicoise

The salmon was cooked perfectly - crispy skinned but soft on the inside. The olive mayonnaise goes very well with the salmon, but I thought it was a bit strange they put potatos in it. Either way, definitely a thumbs up!

12 Hour Lamb

I ordered the 12 Hour Lamb - Slow cooked lamb, honeyed carrots, gremolata baguette. The lamb was so tender - definitely tastes like it's been cooking for 12 hours! The baguette was SOO crunchy that it kinda hurt my mouth after a while - now I understand why P didn't want to order 2 baguettes :P but I'm not complaining - I love crunchy foods :D The honeyed carrots complimented the lamb very well - sweet with the savoury. I just looked up with gremolata is - "chopped herb condiment made from lemon zest, garlic and parsley" - so that's what was on top!

I really enjoyed this meal even though it cost $14 and $15 respectively. P said he was still slightly hungry after his focaccia - but I gotta admit, these sandwiches are a bit smaller than what they are generally.

Next time I want to try the Pork Belly! :)

8.5/10

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment