Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dead Man Espresso

Dead Man Espresso
35 Market St, South Melbourne
(Ph) 9686 2255
☆☆☆

S, J and I were going out for a girlies brunch catch up =D I looked up good brunch places a little bit out of the city, we figured since it was a Sunday we could venture out a bit =) I came across Dead Man Espresso in the Cheap Eats Guide which gave it ☆☆☆

The owners used to work at another reputable brunch place, St Ali, which I'm yet to try but since Dead Man Espresso was in the Cheap Eats Guide I thought we'd try here first =)

S had messaged me at 8am and asked me to confirm we were meeting there at 10am, but then at 10am she messages me and says she'll be ~15mins late and will be catching a taxi there! Haha how funny she had fallen back asleep after messaging me in the morning =) so J and I decided to get a table first - they ran out of tables inside but said we could sit outside which we initially said yes. But after a few minutes, we were burning hot, so decided to go inside and wait for a table there =P We didn't have to wait long, maybe 10mins and we got a table and S had arrived just in time! =D


I love the decor inside - wooden tables with plenty of sunlight shining in, we sat at the communal table which I've found is very common at brunch places like Journal and Stellini Bar.

I had read about the Rosti - herb & potato rosti with poached egg, avocado & smoked salmon or bacon $17.50 and decided I must try it =)

Rosti

Combination of my love of hashbrowns, avocado, poached eggs and smoked salmon! What more could I want in a brunch =D The "hashbrown" was the best part - herb and potato rosti <3 It was so crunch yet so much texture and flavour not just like a normal hashbrown =P was delicious with my egg yolk and avocado <3 Was a bit small though, felt like I could do with another whole serve lol =P

Both J and S ordered the Panmolle - pork sausages with fresh tomato salad, char grilled bread, topped with a poached egg $17.50

Panmolle

Both of them thoroughly enjoyed their dish =D The pork sausages were tasty and the salad was super fresh. They were both super hungry that morning so had finished their massive brunch and was still feeling kinda empty haha =P

So S ordered a Vanilla cupcake with pistachio icing and a Soy Mocha

Vanilla cupcake

The cupcake was a little bit dry though =( a bit disappointing given you'd think cupcakes would always be moist!

Soy Mocha

The Soy mocha was good though - I heard from a barista that you can't do coffee art in soy coffees 'cause the soy milk is not "full/fatty" enough for the pattern to stand still, but this is pretty impressive yeah? =)

J and I shared a Scones - traditional scones served with Dead Man Jam & cream $6.50

Scones

Yum! The scones were heated up and was not too crumbly but not too fluffy - just like how scones should be =) The jam was made locally in the cafe so tasted more "real" with bits of real berries inside =) I never like cream normally but only with scones - it's the only time that it compliments everything! The scone really settled my craving for sweetness =)

Was delicious - definitely will want to try St Ali next!

8.5/10

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment